So if a public service such as the police (or a prison, or a court etc.) breaches one of your human rights, they may have acted unlawfully and the Human Rights Act allows you to sue them for damages for this.
The main rights that tend to be relevant in my area of law are:
- Article 2 – the right to life
- Article 3 – prohibition of inhuman and degrading treatment
- Article 5 – right to liberty
- Article 6 – right to a fair trial
- Article 8 – right to private and family life
- Article 9 – right to freedom of thought / religion
- Article 11 – right to peaceful assembly
If you think your human rights have been breached, and you are considering taking legal action, you should act quickly.
There is a time limit of 1 year in which to have the case issued in court.